Coral bleaching and water pollution seem like things far out of our control but we can do our bit in helping out our little fishy friends. Sunscreens can carry harmful ingredients that can have a negative impact on sealife such as Oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3), a chemical ingredient found in over 3,500 sun care products. Not only is it a problem for the delicate balance in the sea but also our biggest organ, the skin. Our skin absorbs everything, that includes any horrible chemicals we are putting on it.
Some of the best advice out there is to simply stay out of the sun during the hottest parts of the day. Though it’s not always possible especially when you’re swimming. You can get UV resistant swim tops and trousers which take the faff out of applying sunscreen, they aren’t however the most fashionable of beach wear! There are sunscreen products available that are both safer for us and everything living in the oceans we all want to swim in. I’ve compiled this easy and quick little list of sunscreens I believe to be reef safe. Feel free to add any others you know in the comments below!
- Alba botanica SPF 30
- Green people organic SPF 30
- Raw Love Sunscreen, SPF 35 (Made in Maui)
- Deter Mineral Reef Safe Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Maui Surfer Honey Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Badger Sunscreen Cream, Unscented, SPF 30
- Joshua Tree Reef Safe Sunscreen SPF 30
- Elemental Herbs Sport Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- Green Screen D Organic Sunscreen, Original, SPF 35
- BurnOut Ocean Tested Physical Sunscreen, SPF 30
- All Terrain KidSport SPF30
- Star Naturals Sunscreen Stick SPF 25
- Stream2Sea SPF 30